Rough puff pastry, sometimes known as “quick” or “easy” puff pastry, is a simpler version of a traditional, very labor-intensive puff pastry recipe.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2.5 sticks (18 Tbsp) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ to ¾ cup ice water
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Add chilled cubes of butter and work into flour mixture until butter is incorporated, but still visible. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time and mix until dough has just come together, but is not overly wet.
- Place dough on floured mat and roll out into large rectangle. With longest edge of rectangle facing you, fold dough into thirds, left over right, cover in plastic wrap, and chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator, roll out into rectangle again, fold into thirds, and chill for 20 minutes. Repeat this process three more times until dough has been refrigerated a total of four times.
- The dough is then ready to use.
© 2021 Copyright
Image by Roozitaa (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons